A very wise man said to me recently:
Forget bronze, silver, gold sponsorship packages, you just need one piece of paper and two pens.
He was a wise man and he is right.
As you will have seen from an earlier post, Young Rewired State is growing – we are ambitious and unfunded, but we are focused and we will do this.
Many of you want to join in and this can only be achieved with community effort and a determination to enable global change. It is all very well me broadcasting what we intend to do, but that is useless if I don’t do it with a piece of paper and two pens.
History has taught me that community and volunteer help is as wonderful as it is debilitating. Everyone wants to help, I have failed at enabling this help in a focused way.
So here I am… pick up your pen
You have read the ambition, here is how you can join in. We need:
- evangelists – horrible term but it will do. We need to spread the word and if all you do is that – it is enough. One more coding child joining the community as a result of your sharing what we are doing, is a great achievement
- money – we cannot be turned into a body shop and we must maintain independence. Do you know anyone with a CSR challenge or social enterprise fund we can apply to/take for lunch? Make the introduction – that is enough
- staff – we will need to staff up in 2013, do you know anyone awesome who is looking for work? send us their details
- developer networks – do you belong to or know any developer networks worldwide who would be interested in being foster parents for Young Rewired State? Introduce them
- media – we cannot fell trees in a silent wood, we need media to amplify what is happening, both to attract isolated youngsters and to showcase the results. If you have media pals who may want to write about us, tell us
You can be a part of this, indeed we cannot really do this without you.
Pingback: Young Rewired State – an update | Emma Mulqueeny
Hi Emma, I’m running the Stemettes (http://stemettes.co.uk) project and would love to help with the evangelism piece. I can offer you a spot on our supporters page, and would love to have you at our Stemettes events to spread the word and maybe even run a (funded hackathon). What’s the best way to move forward on this? (I’m on stemettesATgmailDOTcom).
Hiya, thanks for this, I will drop you an email xx